Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Cookies

I'm all about keeping Christmas as stress-free as possible - I've made these Christmas cookies the last couple of years now - I love them as it's one recipe, you can split it up once you've made the batch and add various things to add variety. On top of that, I really like that I can make the mix and pop it in rolls in the freezer and slice into (uniform...I like that too - sad I know) round wee bikkies when you feel like actually baking them - so easy

The recipe is one from my mum's collection - it's fabulous!




BULK REFRIGERATOR BISCUITS - Makes 100



250g butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspn vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups flour
¼ cup cornflour
1 tblspn baking powder
½ teaspn salt

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix dry ingredients together and work into the creamed mixture.

Divide dough in ¼ s and add any of the following:


 ½ cup coconut


 1 tblspn cocoa


 ½ cup cornflakes


 ½ cup currants or sultanas


 almond essence and top each biscuit with an almond.


Form into 4 rolls, wrap in foil and freeze. (I use gladwrap)Chill first if too soft to handle. Thaw until soft enough to slice. Cut into 1 cm slices. Place on greased baking tray. 180 degrees c about 15 mins.









Last year I did them all choc drops and dried apricots coarsely chopped. This year I split it into 4 and did
* choc drops & dried apricots
* dried apricots, white choc and coconut
* afghan style - cornflakes and cocoa (I iced them with choc icing and added a wee slice of almond on top)
* 'santa's buttons' - pushed an indent in the centre of each one and filled with jam before baking
 
Yum! Penny selected some tonight for Santa - they're sitting on a wee table in the lounge with a glass of milk, the fireplace door is also open so Santa can come down the chimney and there is water and reindeer food outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment